I think we all need a staple banana bread in our lives as what else are you going to do with those over-ripe bananas siting at the bottom of your fruit bowl? Well you could freeze them and pop them in a smoothie bowl but a warm banana bread does sound a little more enticing.
I’ve loved banana bread since I was a child as it was something my mum often made for an after-school snack or dessert. As much as I loved that recipe, I wasn’t quite satisfied with the ingredients. Just like most banana bread recipes packed with sugar, oil and eggs- delicious but not so great for the body.
So once again I went on a mission to veganize a classic recipe and eliminate the nasties without compromising on flavour. And I have to say this one definitely doesn’t disappoint. It’s gf, df, oil free and refined sugar free and yet still just as moist and delicious.
Honestly you could justify eating it for breakfast lunch and dinner.
- 3 Ripe Bananas
- 4 Chopped Medjool Dates
- 250g GF Rolled Oats
- 70g Coconut Sugar
- 70g Natural Peanut Butter
- 50ml Almond Milk
- 1 Chia Egg (2 tbsp Chia seeds with 1/4 cup water)
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C and in a small bowl combine the chia seeds and water to create the chia “egg” and set aside.
- In a high-speed blender process the oats until you reach a fine, flour like consistency.
- Add the oat flour, baking powder to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In another large bowl mash the bananas and then add in the peanut butter, coconut sugar, vanilla, almond milk and apple cider vinegar.
- Combine the wet ingredients until the peanut butter and coconut sugar has dissolved and everything is well incorporated.
- Gradually add the oat flour mixture to the wet ingredients until a thick batter is achieved. If it seems too thick add another splash of almond milk.
- Fold in the chopped dates and then pour into a lined loaf tin.
- Place in the oven for 60 minutes until golden brown and cooked all the way through .Cool for at least 20 minutes and then slice and spread with vanilla cashew icing.
Vanilla Cashew Butter
The perfect addition to any cake but especially this banana bread!
- 150g Raw Cashews
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Add the cashews to a medium pan of water and bring to the boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes or until the cashews are soft and swollen.
- Drain in a seive and run under cold water.
- In a high speed blender add the cashews and the rest of the ingredients and blend until completely smooth.
- Scoop into a bowl and spread on cake, toast, muffins, even top on porridge or yogurt.