Traditional ramen can be complicated, time consuming and usually not vegan friendly. But luckily this recipe is simple, easy to follow and the broth, veg and noodles all be cooked in the same pot! Woo less dishes!
As a busy student, I am a huuugee fan of any recipe that can be made in one pot and so this is a staple in my diet all year round. It’s healthy and light yet cosy and comforting at the same time – magical.
Unfortunately the tofu cannot be cooked in the same pot as it would be pretty gross and soggy if it did but, nonetheless it’s still very simple . If you have an air fryer I highly recommend you cook the tofu in that but an oven or grill also works great. I used to always put my tofu in the george foreman before I had an air fryer.
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Onion (sliced)
- 2 Garlic Gloves (crushed)
- 2cm Ginger (grated)
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce or Tamari
- 1 tsp Miso Paste
- 1.5l Vegetable Stock (2 cubes)
- 400g Mushrooms of Choice (sliced)
- 3 Carrots (grated or peeled into strips)
- 2 Pak Choi (steamed)
- 1 Red Chilli (sliced)
- 1 Bunch of Coriander (more to serve)
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 225g Rice Noodles
- 1 Packet Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- 4 tbsp Cornstarch
- Preheat the airfryer to 200 ° C or the oven to 180 ° C.
- Drain and press the tofu between two tea towels to remove as much liquid as possible. Then pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Add the cornstarch to a medium bowl and toss in the tofu so that it is completely covered (this will help the marinade stick to the tofu).
- In separate medium bowl combine the tahini, soy sauce and maple syrup until completely smooth.
- Dip the tofu into the marinade individually, making sure all sides are coated. Then place directly into the airfryer or line a baking tray with baking paper and place in the oven.
- Air fry for 10 minutes or bake in the oven for 20 minutes turning over half way.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ramen
- Heat the sesame oil in a large pan or wok, then add the sesame oil, onion and garlic and fry until translucent.
- Gently grate in the ginger and leave to sit for a minute.
- Toss in the mushrooms with 1 tbsp of soy sauce and fry until tender.
- Pour over all of the vegetable stock, two remaining tbsp of soy sauce.
- Spoon in the miso paste and stir gently to dissolve.
- Add the rice noodles to the broth and leave to simmer for 1 minute before adding the carrot and pak choi.
- Squeeze over the lime and sprinkle in the sliced chillies and coriander.
- Ladle into bowls and serve immediately with tahini tofu and extra lime and coriander.