Hello my lovelies!
Vegan lasagne is a staple in my household, simply because my dad is obsessed with making it. So I will of course give credit where credit is due, this recipe is partly my dad’s (but mainly mine 😉 ).
We adapt the recipe almost every time we make it, as it is a great way to use up left over veggies at the end of the week. In this version I roasted courgette, aubergine, peppers and mushrooms in the oven and layered them individually for aesthetic reasons but usually we layer a mix of veggies to save time. This recipe can also easily be made gluten-free provided you use gluten free lasagne sheets.
I used a blend of soaked cashews for the cheesy bechamel sauce which is definitely the star of the show and takes just 15 minutes to make. And if you don’t use it all it can also be diluted and used as a creamy Alfredo pasta sauce or salad dressing.
This recipe serves approximately 4-5 people so it makes for an excellent leftover lunch at work or dinner the following night.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget to snap a photo and tag me so I can see your beautiful home cooked meals.
Cashew Bechamel Sauce
- 250g Cashews
- 250ml Plant-Based Milk (unsweetened)
- 2 Lemons (squeezed)
- 3 Garlic Gloves
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider or White Wine Vinegar
- 5 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast (heaped)
- 2 Courgettes
- 1 Aubergine
- 3 Bell Peppers
- 5-6 Large Mushrooms
- Smoked Paprika
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil (for drizzling)
- 1 Large Jar Passata ( 600g)
- Dried Oregano or Mixed Herbs
- 1 Box Lasagne Pasta Sheets
- Bring a medium pot of water to the boil and place the cashews in for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 °C and line 3 baking trays with baking / parchment paper.
- Slice the courgette, aubergine, mushrooms and peppers so they are able to lie flat (pictured above), on the baking trays and drizzle with olive oil. Then place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Once the cashews have softened drain the water in a sieve and run the cold tap over to cool them before you transfer them into to a high speed blender.
- Add all of the cashew sauce ingredients to the blender and blend on high twice for at least 30 seconds. The mixture should be completely smooth. If it seems very thick feel free to add a little more milk .
- In an oven proof dish, place two sheets of lasagne on the bottom. Then spoon over a couple of table spoons of the cashew sauce and spread evenly.
- Directly on top place the first layer of veggies, I used mushrooms but feel to use whatever you fancy.
- Cover with a couple of spoonfuls of passata and sprinkle over some mixed herbs.
- Place another layer of lasagne sheets and repeat this process twice more. One layer for the aubergines and the other for the peppers
- On the top layer of lasagne sheets place a thin layer of cashew sauce and passata and then layer over the courgette.
- Sprinkle oven some breadcrumbs and a generous amount of nutritional yeast.
- Bake in the over for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top.